About Me

My photo
Joy Serves G*d in Joy as a passionate performing percussionist, poet, publisher, photographer, publicist, sound healer, spiritual guide, artist, gardener and Gemini. "Ivdu Et Hashem B'Simcha" -Psalm 100:2 ....... Joy Krauthammer, active in the Jewish Renewal, Feminist, and neo-Chasidic worlds for over three decades, kabbalistically leads Jewish women's life-cycle rituals. ... Workshops, and Bands are available for all Shuls, Sisterhoods, Rosh Chodeshes, Retreats, Concerts, Conferences & Festivals. ... My kavanah/intention is that my creative expressive gifts are inspirational, uplifting and joyous. In gratitude, I love doing mitzvot/good deeds, and connecting people in joy. In the zechut/merit of Reb Shlomo Carlebach, zt'l, I mamash love to help make our universe a smaller world, one REVEALING more spiritual consciousness, connection, compassion, and chesed/lovingkindness; to make visible the Face of the Divine... VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE and enjoy all offerings.... For BOOKINGS write: joyofwisdom1 at gmail.com, leave a COMMENT below, or call me. ... "Don't Postpone Joy" bear photo montage by Joy. Click to enlarge. BlesSings, Joy

ANNETTE SABBAH ~ Hiddur Mitzvah

ANNETTE SABBAH ~ Reina Kipot
Excerpt from
"Ritual Objects
THE TALLIT: SACRED SPACE"
MBA Thesis, University of Judaism/AJU,   excerpt, pages 187-189

Platt Gallery
STRATEGIC PLAN

TO PRESERVE AND ENERGIZE THE ARTS IN LOS ANGELES INTO THE 21ST CENTURY
and Jewish Calendar Magazine
by Joy Krauthammer ©
Arts Editor, Jewish Calendar Magazine

Blessed are You, Yah, Creator of the universe, who has sanctified us with your commandments, and commanded us to enwrap ourselves in tzitzit.
Baruch ata Yah elohainu melech ha-olam asher kidshanu b’mitzvotav v’tzivanu l’hit-atef b’tzitzit.
On my last trip to Jerusalem, I saw that a potter friend’s wife from Tennessee had a delightful feminine kipah (head covering). When I questioned her, she responded that it had come from an artisan in Los Angeles, CA. I informed the woman that this very Moroccan artisan, Annette Sabbah, has one of her kipot on exhibit in the Israeli Museum in the new Women of Valor permanent exhibit, and that now Annette is creating tallitot, as well as other Judaica.
Annette has conceived tallitot as I have never seen them before. They evoke many moods and personalities, and flowing with lush creativity, they invite the wearer to explore them as they are in rich combinations of ethnic or subdued textiles ranging from wools, cottons, silks, tapestries, brocades, velvets and lace. Each one is Jewishly decorated with artwork of beads, Hebrew calligraphy, pearls, rhinestones, etc. Matching tallit bags are available.
There are even more varieties of adornments for Annette’s well known modest, cute, sophisticated or fancy kipot. Her Negev Kipah (with rope, tassel, coins) captures a biblical feeling and her own heritage, including growing up in Be'er Shevah. Annette’s trademark is the metallic crocheted “Star of David” in the center of each kipah. I think my favorite whimsical one continues to be that which resembles a feathery streimel.
I have asked Annette to share her thoughts about what she feels while creating Judaica. Abraham J. Heschel once wrote, “The dignity of being a Jew is in the sense of commitment.” Annette states, “I suppose to some this might mean a lifelong dedication to a special cause, to a synagogue, a family, or to the study of Torah.
“To me, these words, “a Jew of commitment” take on a clear and simple meaning in relation to my creation of Judaica. As far back as I can remember, the creative need, impulse, urge or gift was with in me since the age of 10-12. Drawing, painting and writing poetry in French, then in Hebrew became a passion. And always, feelings of awe, wonder, and anticipation of great mysteries within and around me still to be unraveled, still to be created, still to be discovered in the recesses of my mind and my heart, that would in time fuse together, crystallize and emerge to be given shape, form and ultimately life through my art.
“The awareness that my creative strength would from now on derive and be nurtured from the very essence of my being: That of being a Jew, dawned on me about 10-12 years ago. Maybe it had been there all along. Maybe it was the foundation, religious and academic. Home was religious and traditional, and schooling was Beit-Yakov, an orthodox, all girls school in Israel where I studied Torah, Mishnah and Nevi’im, and still thirsted for more.
“I think in trying to analyze the reasons behind the specific lines I am creating today, such as the women’s Judaic headwear, women’s tallitot, and the new contemporary and hand painted chupot, is to simply conclude that it was a idea whose time had come.
“Never have I felt so commited spiritually and physically to the creation of Judaica in as many possible art forms as I could possibly master, more specifically the commitment to beau- tiful, different, contemporary religious garments for girls, women and men. My creations are to be worn around our bodies, crown our heads, adorn our homes and sanctify and embellish our weddings.
“I hope and pray fervently to God never to relinquish from me the passion and ardor that was bestowed upon me, so that I may for a long time rejoice and revel in the pleasure of my art with all my heart, body and soul and hopefully have others share as well in this joy.”
Annette Sabbah’s Jewish ritual garments for the body and soul, for the home, and the synagogue can be found at Jewish gift shops throughout America. They may also be ordered with unlimited individual specifications of size, color, texture, and ornamentation by contacting Annette at REINA KIPOT. 

Annette's paintings and textile art are currently on exhibit summer 2016:   SFVACC GALLERY, Tarzana, CA


Photo of Annette on far right and our Valley friends for about 4 decades. 

L > R
Friends
Joy, Adina, Carol, Annette
Barbara, Hare
May 2016
weeks before friend Suzanne, z"l, died



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,
THANKS for reading my words.
I always love to hear from you.
Thanks for writing to me on COMMENTS.
BlesSings,
Joy

Followers