About Me

My photo
Joy Serves G*d in Joy as a passionate performing percussionist, poet, publisher, photographer, publicist, sound healer, spiritual guide, artist, gardener and Gemini. "Ivdu Et Hashem B'Simcha" -Psalm 100:2 ....... Joy Krauthammer, active in the Jewish Renewal, Feminist, and neo-Chasidic worlds for over three decades, kabbalistically leads Jewish women's life-cycle rituals. ... Workshops, and Bands are available for all Shuls, Sisterhoods, Rosh Chodeshes, Retreats, Concerts, Conferences & Festivals. ... My kavanah/intention is that my creative expressive gifts are inspirational, uplifting and joyous. In gratitude, I love doing mitzvot/good deeds, and connecting people in joy. In the zechut/merit of Reb Shlomo Carlebach, zt'l, I mamash love to help make our universe a smaller world, one REVEALING more spiritual consciousness, connection, compassion, and chesed/lovingkindness; to make visible the Face of the Divine... VIEW MY COMPLETE PROFILE and enjoy all offerings.... For BOOKINGS write: joyofwisdom1 at gmail.com, leave a COMMENT below, or call me. ... "Don't Postpone Joy" bear photo montage by Joy. Click to enlarge. BlesSings, Joy

Death Rituals

My response to:
New Rituals–New Vocabulary! New Life Stages.
by Rabbi Richard Address, Jewish Sacred Aging

Death Rituals by Joy Krauthammer  10.22.2015
I’m uncomfortable with term, ‘goses', because most people do not know the word.


Dear Rabbi Address, you ask for thoughts on rituals for the terminally ill, and state, "Jewish life is now rich in creativity”. I think that our Jewish culture has always been rich with creativity but now for our own needs, we are expressing ourselves creatively in more innovative ways and as women, reclaiming what is ours.  After one's death, I continue to offer loving rituals In Memory Of...

In preparing for a 60th birthday on eldering and our last years, I’ve taught workshops on the "Simchat Chochmah" ~ Joy of Wisdom rituals created by Savina Teubal, z”l and Marty Cohn Spiegel.  Mortality is discussed.

I’ve led Valley Death Cafe and with the ritual of discussing death and prior needs.
When friends are dying, I’ve led rituals alone or with others when I have the person on hospice play with me– Tibetan singing bowls, and as an occasional Chevre Kadisha Shomer prior to funerals, I’ve played the singing bowls. For a female friend near the end, and with other friends, I've offered long-stemmed roses for a velvety sweet body massage. I offer fun bottles of bubbles so that with a little breath, a friend can blow bubbles when words are no longer possible. For decades I’ve held song and prayer circles surrounding the person in bed, remembering that angels are near the head. Many times I've offered the hospice patient my cell phone to listen to those far away sharing their love, and even when they haven’t talked, they now share their love. Many times I've done the traditional Vidui ritual.
For my spouse, I was present as a Caregiver Angel Warrior.

Even comatose, people can hear words spoken. I’ve been present when a priest called each family member up to dying person and had them share their relationships of love. I've photographed and shared hands being held. A ritual always fine, is in silence to hold hands and if possible, look into each other’s eyes. I’ve brought special photos to those hours away from transitioning and although ‘comatose’ the patient has said “Thank you,“ as did my drum teacher.  For 'letting go' in thoughts or spoken words, I've offered permission guidance for the dying to 'leave their bodies and go to the light where loved ones await them'. I've assured the dying that they will be 'remembered'.  I've read long personal letters to my beloved. In saying, 'Goodbye', I’ve said “I love you” to the transitioning ‘unresponsive’ friend, and she surprisingly responded, “I love you.” What else is there?, asked another hospice friend.
BlesSings of comfort,
Joy Krauthammer

Joy Krauthammer, MBA Non-Profit (Long Term Care), former NY medical social worker, 'Caregiver Angel Warrior', Sound Healer, Temple musician, spiritual guide, ceremonialist, Bikkur Cholim volunteer, Compassion In Action trainee, Artist of Light, Baby Boomer workshop leader -

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi,
THANKS for reading my words.
I always love to hear from you.
Thanks for writing to me on COMMENTS.
BlesSings,
Joy

Followers